What are the legal requirements to be married in Australia?
Before you are married.... you are required by law to complete and sign the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM). This form must be lodged with me a minimum of one calendar month and a maximum of 18 months prior to your wedding. Download Your NOIM Here.
You must be over the age of 18 and you must not be currently married
Before your wedding you are required to provide the following to me:
- If you are Australian Born, an original Birth Certificate is at present the only document acceptable for proof of name and date of birth.
- If born overseas you may provide an overseas passport or an original birth certificate. A Commonwealth Statutory Declaration can be prepared if you do not have a passport or Birth Certificate.
- In addition if you have previously been married you will need to provide documentary evidence of how the marriage ended. i.e. Divorce Decree Absolute/Divorce papers or the Death Certificate of your late Spouse.
- You need to provide photo I.D
- If any certificates are in a language the Celebrant does not understand you must provide a translation by a Registered Translator.
On the day of your marriage you are required to have two witnesses over the age of 18 to sign the marriage documents.